One of the key skills that sets apart the most effective individuals is their ability to regulate their emotions. In this lab, you will be put to the test as you experience a series of stressful (but fun!) scenarios. You will develop a richer understanding of your emotional strengths and triggers, and you will walk away with new tools for self-control, staying calm under pressure, and transforming hurt feelings into opportunities for growth and connection.
Pre-work: Before this workshop think about situations in which you feel emotionally out of control.
During this lab you will:
- Discuss areas where you would like to have more skillful responses
- Understand the four touchpoints of emotion and interventions that can be made at each touchpoint: a) situation, b) attention, c) appraisal, d) response
- Learn how to optimize a situation by predicting triggers
- Learn how to redirect attention
- Learn how to do secondary appraisals, reframe, and normalize
- Learn how to optimize the response
- Practice handling triggering moments
After this lab, you will know how to:
- Have a greater awareness of self and others
- Know tools to create a calm response