In this workshop, you will learn how to become a better problem solver in everyday life by practicing foundational problem-solving tools and techniques. You will learn how to simplify each problem and walk it through a problem-solving grid. You’ll get feedback and help from other participants. Through this, you will internalize a way to solve complex problems and help others solve problems faster in the future.
Prework: Come to the session prepared with a problem that you would like to solve.
During this workshop, you will:
- Define a problem (create a problem statement, specify goal and obstacle)
- Learn how to simplify and disentangle problems (e.g., fishbone technique, 5 whys assessment)
- Define solutions (e.g., rubber-duck technique, appreciative inquiry, exceptions technique)
- Learn how to communicate problems and proposed solutions to your manager
- Discuss how to ‘flex’ your problem-solving style to work better with people who have a different style
After this workshop, you will know how to:
- Find a solution to the problem you brought to the workshop
- Use new vocabulary to articulate your thinking process, leading to more confidence and calmness in the way you approach problems
- Help others solve problems faster